8 January 2014

Driftwood Art - my DIY Driftwood Mirror!



I love DIY projects that are not intentional, this project is one of them, it came about from a tragedy to my favourite mirror. I was given this mirror as a gift for my birthday a few years ago and loved it, it hung on the wall in our guest room. However, the weight of the mirror was significant and one day it fell off the wall, leaving a destructive path of damaged plaster, broken furniture from its impact and a cracked mirror frame. Not being able to part with the mirror now it had a cracked outer frame, I set about a way to upcycle the mirror so it can hang on my wall once more. 


Taking inspiration from The Wood Grain Cottage I wanted to create some coastal art, using driftwood that I had collected at the beach. Here is the mirrors transformation and its new lease of life, using the driftwood to hide the crack in the frame mirror and imperfections...

There was such an abundance of driftwood on the beach, here is some beach art I came across!

My driftwood find 

Using Selley's Glass Silicone I glued pieces of driftwood onto the mirror frame, fixing the larger pieces first. Using Selley's liquid nails, I then fixed the smaller pieces of wood to these larger pieces of driftwood. I continued to do this, filling in all of the gaps with the smaller driftwood pieces.






The final result was a layered driftwood mirror, which works in well with my new Hampton's buffet. This entrance wall is now my favourite wall in the house. 
And the best bit is that my precious mirror has been given a new lease on life!
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY PROJECT?
I would love to know, leave me a comment below!
Thanks for stopping by
post signature

2 comments :

  1. It looks fantastic Ashlea. Just added you to my favourites so I do miss out on any of your posts. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! Your mirror turned out absolutely wonderful! I love it! Enjoy! :-D
    -Shayna
    www.TheWoodGrainCottage.com

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails