3 December 2014

Easy Clay DIY Christmas Decorations or Gift Tags


Have you put your Christmas tree up yet?? I certainly have! I always look forward to the 1st of December, putting cheesy carols on and detangling rows of lights and baubles. This year was a little different however. I instead borrowed Hubby's drill and sat in the garage drilling holes through driftwood I had found and made my own Christmas tree. Then, to top it off, I made my own decorations. Yep this Christmas is all DIY! If you want to join in and make some DIY tree ornaments or perhaps even gift tags for those beautifully wrapped presents, then follow along. It is super easy and all you need is patience (the clay takes three days to dry!).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To make clay tags you will need the following:

Air Drying White Clay (you can purchase from craft stores for approx. $10)
Rolling Pin
Cookie Cutters - of varying sizes and shapes
Skewer
Baking Paper
Cookie Tray
Twine/coloured string
Additional: stamps or tools to print onto the clay tags

1. Lay out some baking paper on a hard surface. This will be your working surface to roll out your clay on to stop it sticking to the bench or your surface.

2. Roll out the clay to about 1/2 cm thick. You don't want the tags to be too thin, they will break. 

3. Select the cookie cutter size or shape that you want to use for the clay tags. Press firmly with the cookie cutter to achieve your desired shape.

4. Remove the clay from the cookie cutter and use a skewer to make a small hole at the top of the tag. This is where you will thread string or twine through it later, to be able to hang it. 

5. If you want to scribe text, or use a stamp to imprint on the clay then now is the time. 

6. Set the finished tag onto a lined cookie tray to dry for at least 48 hours in a warm, dry spot. Once dry, the clay will change from slightly grey to a brighter white. You are then ready to thread your twine or string through them!

I used jute for my tags, but you could use coloured string. Adding a pop of colour could be fun!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>















The clay tags do not need to be for Christmas decorations or gifttags - why not make them into a row of bunting, herb name tags for your garden or even hang them from some twine as a baby mobile?! So many options and all it needs is a little creativity. Even if you are not the DIY type, this one is a fun project. Surprise yourself, give it a go!

What do you think of the finished product? Are you inspired to tackle a DIY Christmas project? I'd love to know what festive preparations you have begun, leave me a comment below!

I love my coastal Christmas tree, the shells, jute and clay add great texture and interest. I wanted to make a driftwood Christmas tree last Christmas, but ran out of time. It's funny how the festive season just pops up so quickly isn't it?

Enjoy the festivities, 
Follow Glamour Coastal Living:
 INSTAGRAM // FACEBOOK // PINTEREST // SHOP

8 comments :

  1. These are fabulous! L O V E your Chrissy tree too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bec, I look forward to putting the lights on each evening, I am in love with it! :) x

      Delete
  2. This looks great - what a fabulous collection of driftwood! Thanks for linking up with my Christmas Link Party. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I am inspired. Thanks so much for a great DIY, I have bought these in the past and have always thought that I should try to make them so now I know how, thank you. Love your tree too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki! I am so pleased with how it all turned out. The tags are super easy and a lot of fun, they are worth trying! x

      Delete
  4. Making clay tags is almost like therapy, isn't it, Ashlea? lol I used to make them all the time for ornaments and gift tags. So much fun! One thing I did was to take a nail file and smooth out the edges of the tags a bit to make them look a bit more "finished". :) Adore your awesome driftwood tree! Sooo cool! Merry Christmas to you!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good therapy! I loved it, the tip about the nail file is a great idea. Yes I am in love with my driftwood tree. So nice to have a coastal laidback Christmas this year. Thanks for stopping by x

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails