8 September 2015

Lets Make: a DIY Felt Ball Garland


A special friend is due to have a baby any day now. 
A little baby girl is to make my dear friends parents for the first time. Already parents to two gorgeous fur babies (below!) this little bub is going to be so loved and protected by her bigger fur siblings. Below is a photo the couple shared when announcing their pregnancy. So sweet isn't it?

I wanted to give a gift that was something a little different, not booties or onesies or something that they will grow out of in a matter of weeks. I wanted to give something this little bub could look at as she wakes in her cot each day and bring a little colour to the nursery. I decided on a felt ball garland, one handmade with love, so naturally I made it myself and wanted to show you today how you too can make one yourself. Perhaps its a great project for you to do with the kids? Or a project for adults alike, and can be used to decorate a bedroom, living space, a doorway, or even make one to drape over your Christmas tree (it's never too early to start getting ready for Christmas right?!).

Felt ball garlands are colourful, fun and on trend at the moment. So, let’s jump right in and I will show you how to make one for yourself, or as a gift for a loved one!  

Supplies you’ll need to make a felt ball garland:
  • Felt balls - I used three different colours and also different sizes. You may choose to use all the same size and a rainbow of colours!
  • Woollen thread - I used wool from my craft store, you might like to use twine or jute!
  • A large needle – I used a large needed that would be sharp to push through the felt.
  • Scissors
  • A thimble - to help push through the felt ball with the needle. 
Step 1 – Determine your colour pattern.
Being for a little girls nursery, I kept it simple and sweet, using white, grey and pink. Once you have chosen your colours, group them in piles so you can clearly see the quantity of each and even the different sizes if you are making one like mine with different sized felt balls.
Step 2 – Determine the length of the garland.
I designed mine to be strung loosely across a wall. I make mine approx 3m in length, to allow enough to have a 'draped' effect and also leaving enough on the ends to create a tassel look. Once you have worked out how long you want it to be, cut the woollen thread to suit.
Step 3 – Start threading!
This is the fun part! Thread the needle through the wool and then push the needle through the first of the felt balls. You may want to use a thimble or a sturdy object to help you push the needle through the felt. I spaced mine quite randomly, you may want to space them equally or a random look like mine. It's up to you! Keep threading the balls until you have created the desired length and look.
Step 3 – The tassels.
To finish the ends of the garland, I chose to make a tassel simply by winding the wool around my fingers.


I pulled the end of the garland through my loops.
Then tied the end of the garland in a knot at the top of my fingers.


Next, I took a separate small piece of wool, pinched the top of my tassel together, wrapped my thread around and tied into a knot.  Then I trimmed the excess pieces of wool, as well as the ends to look like this.




As I was giving it as a gift, I chose a glass jar to bundle it into - I love that the jar could be used for other purposes and upcycled. 
I am such a jar collector, they always come in handy! Have you ever given a gift in a jar before? It is sort of like a gift that keeps giving!


Now, we are all eagerly waiting to hear of the safe arrival of this precious little girl, as already she is a couple of days overdue. I hope she will love her felt ball garland!

DO YOU LOVE A HANDMADE GIFT? I do!
Where would you hang this felt ball garland? Do you think you will too give it a try? Have you tried making a garland like this before?

Happy crafting! If you make one, let me know I would love to see it! :) I want to see pictures, tag us in your pics on instagram and facebook so we can share the love!

Linking up with Essentially Jess for today's post.
  
Follow Glamour Coastal Living:
 INSTAGRAM // FACEBOOK // PINTEREST // SHOP

18 comments :

  1. Lovely! I often see them in pics and assume they're bought but this gives you the flexibility to choose colours etc. (Plus I had no idea how to make tassels!)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was put off my the tassels at first, thinking they would be hard to make but they were surprisingly easy! I love how it all came together, I want one for above my desk now! x

      Delete
  2. My girls and I bought heaps of felt balls at the handmade market. My 10 yo made her own garland with w little help. She also tied on pom-poms we made at random points. It hangs across above her bed! Yours looks lovely and is such a sweet gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear of kids being creative - how sweet. Thank you Deb x

      Delete
  3. What a thoughtful gift, made with love is always the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soooo cute Ashlea - I would totally have one of these in my office you clever gal xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a great gift idea! I think I'll try this for some of my 'new parent' friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous, so good to hear Jess! A handmade gift is always so nice! :) x

      Delete
  6. I do love a handmade gift. They are so special. I'm tempted to try this activity with my five year old. I think we'd have fun doing it. Sending well wishes for the new baby girl. #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee, it is always nice to receive a handmade gift! I hope you have fun doing it with your little one, I love to hear of kids being creative! :) x

      Delete
  7. This is all kinds of awesome Ashlea and I love the jar too! Such a beautiful gift made with love! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon, handmade is always a nice touch. The jar was only $5 from Kmart and made wrapping what would have otherwise been a really awkward present to wrap - a whole lot easier! :) x

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! I love the idea of popping it into a jar to give as a gift too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jar was $5 from Kmart, even better!! I am such a jar and vase collector, they come in handy, especially when giving awkward gifts that are hard to wrap! x

      Delete
  9. Great idea! I love felt ball garlands but they are so expensive to buy. You've inspired me to DIY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Claire, so glad to have inspired you! This way you can choose the exact colours you want too, much better. I found Spotlight had al the things I needed, so try there for the felt balls x

      Delete
  10. Pretty! What a beautiful baby present! I wonder if she's arrived :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace - no bub yet, she is nearly 2 weeks overdue as well! Thanks for the link up x

      Delete

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails