7 October 2015

A weekend well spent, brings a week of content

A Sunday well spent, brings a week of content.

The same can be said of a long weekend and I can say with certainty that my long weekend was well spent. 

The weekend was full of fun and festivity and lucky for me, kicked off a day early, so I had an extra long weekend, spending Friday morning out on the ocean with Hubby in the boat. We whale watched, fished, chatted and enjoyed the sunshine. Nothing beats an early start out on the water and watching the sunrise and day form around you.

We were lucky enough to see the sun rising and the moon setting over the water as we headed out to sea.



Can you spot the whale in the photo above? It was swimming so close to Snapper Rocks with its calf alongside!


 The common theme of the weekend was family and friendship. The days were slow, full of love and laughter and the sun shone so brightly. Here on the Gold Coast we were so lucky to have 30 degree days and I even had my first swim of the Spring season in my pool - bliss!


I was able to slow down, reconnect with myself, recharge the batteries and also reconnect with my loved ones. That's what long weekends are for right?

Long weekends are also for tackling DIY projects - including this one!
Our toilet window faces west and if it rains, the water blows straight in the window. As soon as the rain starts, there is always a mad dash to the bathroom and crazy window slamming before everything gets soaked! We installed a insulated window hood that will now shelter the window from the rain and weather a little. We even had time to pop a coat of paint on it, so it matches the wall colour. Nothing beats the satisfaction of starting a DIY project and actually finishing it in the one day!
The highlight of the weekend was the party we held at our place on Sunday afternoon. When I was in Hawaii last month, I fell in love with the laidback surfing culture, was obsessed with wearing Hawaiian print shirts and listening to The Beach Boys...it was then I decided to help me recover from my Post Holiday Blues (that is a thing right?!) that I must throw a 1950's themed Hawaiian party and what better excuse than Grandfinal Day! Everyone loves to eat, drink, be merry and of course wear a fun Hawaiian shirt! It was alot of fun, with palm fronds scattered everywhere, party punch consumed, lots of laughs, a BBQ bonanza and of course a fire pit. You cannot have a backyard party without a fire pit! We were tipping the Cowboys for a win, so we were over the moon with the fairytale win they had - there was alot of yahooing and screaming from our backyard on that 80th minute!






There nearly wasn't any meat to actually BBQ however, as I got caught up making yummy desserts and missed picking up my order from the local butcher! Oops! 
Lucky late Saturday afternoon another butcher was still open and we were able to pick up some sausages and steaks!




We finished the long weekend off with live music and entertainment at the Murwillumbah Country Roots and Blues Festival. It was so nice to drive the Ford Kuga MKII (thanks Ford!) and we had a full car, making the most of it, turning up the stereo and letting the sun shine in with the full length glass panorama roof offering a fun and airy drive. With the touch of a button the glass slides back completely and it is truly amazing, watching the blue sky and trees zoom by. I am not one to be fussed over fancy gadgets, but truly, it's incredible! I am always so disappointed when we arrive at our destination, the drive goes too quick! 

Someone was disappointed he couldn't come to the festival too!




Views of Mt Warning from the festival grounds



Hay bales outside a tin shed as Bill Chambers plays into the afternoon





The afternoon at Murwillumbah was hot, with the temperature reaching 34 degrees but I was in my element, listening to the live music and talented artists (whilst sampling all of the amazing local food vans of course!). We sat on hay bales and picnic rugs and embraced the laid back vibes.
 There was one act that stood out to me though and that is Indigenous singer and songwriter Archie Roache, his lyrics sharing the stories of the stolen generation and the hardships his generation faced. The audience was captivated and I was too.

Archie spoke of the innocence of children and what he and children of his generation experienced, in between the songs he played. The stories were the background to the songs he had written to give a voice to the children. The crowd was silenced by his voice and his natural ability in story telling. 

A story stuck in my mind.
 Archie spoke of a young girl, just a toddler, with her little chubby legs walking through the grass at a park. She takes a few tumbles, landing on her bottom, getting back up each time. Her eyes fixated on a flower just ahead, she reaches down, picks the flower and turns around to face her Mum. The little ones eyes are as big as saucers, the joy and happiness written all over her face. She holds the flower to her Mum, for her to see and hold it too. Her Mum takes the flower, looking down at her daughter, all bright eyed and chubby cheeked. 

A simple moment passes.

Archie was sharing a message, a message that resonated with me well. 
The innocence of the little girl, her fascination with the simple beauty and joy in life. How important it is to connect with nature, for it to sooth, heal, restore and reconnect you. 

You feel more alive, your senses heightened, your mood uplifted. When was the last time you connected with nature?
I urge you to connect today. 
Kick off your shoes,
Walk barefoot on the grass, 
Pick a flower and breathe in it sweet scent,
Listen to the birds sing,
Breathe in the fresh air, the smell of Spring around you.

As I sat there, listening to Archie's words, the sun was setting, the stars beginning to shine, my feet firmly planted on the ground. I instantly felt reconnected with nature, reconnected with myself and was reminded to enjoy the simple moments and joys in life. I was so grateful to have my family by my side to share this with. As I curled up in the comfy leather seat on the way home, I looked up, through the glass roof in the car and smiled. The stars were shining brightly, a cane fire burning in the distance, the smell of sugar so sweet and the cold evening air so refreshing on my face. 
I was so appreciative for the simple things!
(I later realised when I got home that I had accidentally hit the 'seat warming' button, so I was extra warm the whole way home which was an added bonus!)

It was a wonderful long weekend and I am so grateful I was able to share it with such wonderful friends and family.

Thank you to Ford, for giving me my Kuga MKII to allow me to roadtrip and experience these memories with those I cherish the most.

WHAT DID YOU GET UP TO ON THE LONG WEEKEND?
Did you spend some time outdoors and connect with nature?
Was the sun shining in your corner of the world?
Any DIY projects tackled over the weekend, or was it a weekend full of relaxing and recharging the batteries? I would love to know, leave me a comment below.
This post is part of the #FordThinking Kidspot Voices of 2015 Challenge. I have been very lucky to have the opportunity to drive and adventure in the brand spanking new Ford Kuga MKII for six weeks. I am loving it! You can read about my day trip where I visited The Farm at Byron Bay and follow my adventures on Instagram too @glamourcoastalliving 

Follow Glamour Coastal Living:
 INSTAGRAM // FACEBOOK // PINTEREST // SHOP



7 comments :

  1. What a glorious weekend! Go the Cowboys and yes, Post Holiday Blues is totally a thing. The Kuga looks awesome - have heard so many good things about it! If only ever weekend could be a long one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The warmer weather makes each weekend feel a little longer I am finding - nothing beats a long weekend though! The Kuga is too much awesomeness and so mindblowing in what it can do. I had to sit down and rad the book to figure it all out haha! Have a great weekend Sammie :) x

      Delete
  2. Wow you sure managed to pack a lot in. I've just been to Hawaii too. It's hard not to want to bring a part of that back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gloriously busy weekend you had. I've been watching the whales off Burleigh headland - love it when they come in close. And looks like a great dinner party! We have been soaking up all the sunshine too, love the warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many whales still passing by, aren't we lucky! We are so lucky to call the GC home! :)

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful long weekend. Sounds like you had a fantastic time and used your days well. The music festival sounds brilliant and what a beautiful vibe to Archie Roache's music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound like you guys had the most awesome weekend hun - and I love that party idea. Best way ever to beat those post holiday blues. We spent a lot of time over the long weekend going between the beach and the pool. That is my idea of perfection :) xx

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails