20 October 2015

Waikiki Hawaii - Sunny Beach Days

The last instalment of my Hawaii Holiday is finally here. Today I am sharing my five nights in Waikiki. We were in Hawaii for two weeks and divided our time between:

++ Maui Island (read that post here)

++ Haleiwa, The North Shore (read that post here)

++ Waikiki


We experienced Waikiki at it's best - the ocean was crystal clear, the skies so blue and the days so hot!


I would compare Waikiki to Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast. Lots of chain stores, food and restaurants, beautiful beaches and lots of tourists.

With the weather so warm, we spent every day at the beach. It's funny how you find your little routine when on holidays. We would head off for breakfast, then head down to the beach to set up our umbrella to have a few hours in the sun. We would then retire from the sun and head off in search of lunch. Our favourite place was The Cheesecake Factory. At night, the line was out the door, so we found it a great and quick eat at lunchtime instead. With over 250 menu items, supersized well priced meals and of course the most extensive cheesecake menu its definitely a crowd pleaser. 

After lunch we would wander the shops, before heading back to the beach until sunset where we would then slip into Duke's Beachfront Bar for a happy hour cocktail and enjoy the last of the day. 

Night time at Waikiki is alot of fun - there are so many great restaurants to dine at, lots of street performers and buskers on each corner and lots of action to see. We found ourselves eating late, then wandering the streets with an ice cream in hand back to our hotel.


An entrée sized chicken salad at The Cheesecake Factory - it was massive, I couldn't finish it!

Downtown Waikiki

 Some shopping finds


 We conquered the Diamond Head Crater - never been so hot and exhausted in my life. 
37 degree heat and the humidity nearly killed me!


We did peel ourselves away from the beach some times - we climbed the Diamond Head Crater, which was hard but so worthwhile. It gives you the best panoramic view over Waikiki and Honolulu and the ocean is simply incredible from above. Make sure you wear good shoes though, we did see some crazy people attempting it in high heels and thongs. You need runners people, trust me, unless you want to be airlifted off the crater!

We also visited Pearl Harbour, which truly is a must do when in the area. We did the free tour of the USS Arizona and there are others you can do, for a small cost - submarines, aircrafts and other navy attractions. It was so humbling to stand above the site where over 1000 heroic soldiers lay tombed in time. I felt very patriotic and a sense of proudness when visiting the site, thinking of our amazing Aussie soldiers and the battles we have fought over time. 

 USS Arizona Memorial

USS Arizona Memorial


As it was our last leg of the trip, we tended to try and relax before heading home to what always is a busy period at work leading up to Christmas. We just enjoyed the sunshine and lapped up all the tropical summer vibes. That truly is what Hawaii is all about, just taking it easy and going slow. There is no rush or anywhere to be on time.

We enjoyed our stay, but cannot say that we would go back to Waikiki again. I would much rather spend my time island hopping to some of Hawaii's little kept secrets and leave the busy touristy areas to others to enjoy. A quiet beach, palms swaying in the breeze and sipping from a coconut is more my thing. Not ducking from learner surfers and worrying my head was going to be decapitated hehe!

Here are some tips, on my guide to Waikiki:
- In Australia we call entrée a small, pre dinner meal. In America an entrée is a main meal. I got caught out a few times before I caught on! I would end up with a super sized 'entrée' meal, then not be able to eat my main!
- If you want to save money on accommodation, stay a block back from the beach. It will literally save you at least $100 a night!
- If you are heading to Pearl Harbour, make sure you get there early. We were in and out in 1.5 hours, other times people line up for an hour just to get in! We arrived at 9am fyi.
- The convenience stores (ABC) sell beach chairs and umbrellas, if you are there for a few days holidaying then its worth purchasing your own, otherwise to hire them on the beach will get very expensive.
- Get out on the water if you can - hire a paddleboard or go on the catamaran on sunset, as the view back to Waikiki and Diamond Head is beautiful.
- If you are heading to Diamond Head to walk the crater, consider catching a cab. We paid approx $12US from Waikiki centre and took us direct to the beginning of the walk, versus the bus which you have to walk a couple of extra kilometers. Trust me, the crater walk is enough, you don't want the extra couple of kilometers!
- Don't underestimate the value of small change. The $1 notes are fabulous when it comes to tipping at restaurants, otherwise you can get caught overtipping and overspending.
- Keep an eye out for turtles, as busy and crowded as Waikiki was, there was a few turtles that would pop up here and there at low tide as they combed the shallow rocks near shore for food.



Waikiki sunset from our hotel balcony

Waikiki sunset from the Top Of Waikiki Revolving Restaurant

Yes we paid $20 for a cheesy touristy photo, but you only live once right?! :P


We spent our last day on paddle boards floating around, it was so much fun. 
I never wanted to leave!



TELL ME, IS WAIKIKI ON YOUR 'TO VISIT' LIST? 
Or have you been before? Is a hot tropical beach holiday your type of holiday? What would you like to see and do in Waikiki? 
Until next time, aloha island lovers x

Linking up with Essentially Jess

Follow Glamour Coastal Living:

14 comments :

  1. Gosh it really is beautiful, even though I only spent the day on the North Shore I do know what you mean, it's lovely to escape the main drag for something different.
    I'd love to go back to Hawaii, but then that said I'd go anywhere it was going to be warm and beachy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The North Shore was lovely and so laidback. Did you stop in Haleiwa, we were there for 3 nights and it was such a cute little spot. Yes I am with you, anywhere warm and beachy with palms swaying in the breeze. Now I am ready for a cocktail :P

      Delete
  2. Great views from Crater Mountain, I would love to see Pearl Harbour .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go there one day. If just to see Pearl Harbour. Also I don't mind touristy places when I'm on holiday. I quite like having convenience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - I must admit the dining was great, but I am just not used to sharing the beach with so many people hehe! Pearl Harbour was very special, a must do for anyone visiting. I walked away so humbled! Thanks for the link up x

      Delete
  4. We have never been to Hawaii (any of the islands) but hope to someday. Such a beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The travel time put me off going for some years now, as I am not a great flyer. So glad I did it though. My Mum is there for the first time at the moment and she is loving it. I think we will all be back there someday as a family holiday - its a great all ages place. There is truly something for everyone! :) x

      Delete
  5. I always wondered where people who live in a holiday spot permanently (eg the Gold Coast) went on holidays ... now I know LOL! I would love to visit Hawaii one day, but like you I think I'd prefer the more out of the way places rather than Waikiki. Looks like a great holiday!

    Visiting from #teamIBOT x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Janet - so funny. I much prefer a quiet island escape, but I am glad to tick it off my list! Thanks for saying hi x

      Delete
  6. Awesome pics!!!! I love the floating one. We were in Waikiki for two days and one night without much time to do anything. I'd love to go back. Pearl Harbour is definitely something I'd like to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes thats too quick - I could have floated there all day as turtles kept popping up around me.. Super special! x

      Delete
  7. We spent some of our honeymoon in Waikiki before heading on to Maui. We loved it! These are great top tips, especially about getting to Pearl Harbour super early and the Cheesecake Factory (and yes, beware of the humungous portions!) I can't wait to go back, especially since I read this post! Thanks for linking up to the Ultimate Rabbit Hole!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want to go back! How good is the shopping?! I had an ABC shop habit. Pearl Harbour was also once of the most memorable places I have ever been too. It was haunting looking into the water I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aloha Hawaii! We loved it so much we went two years in a row! There's just something special about the Aloha way of life isn't there! We did Maui and waikiki and I loved both. So different but both have much to offer. Sounds like we had the same routine as you too... Dukes, beach, cheesecake shop! And how good are the ABC shops! I swear there's not one item you can't buy there! Xx

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails