5 December 2015

Macadamia and Coconut Muffins with nut frosting


There are two things I love...
 Coconut and Macadamia.

Combine the two and you have a match made in heaven!

I came across a Macadamia and Coconut Muffin recipe this week by I Quite Sugar and had to try it. I whipped these yummy treats up yesterday morning. I came home from a wet and windy morning at the beach, catching up with my friend and letting our dogs have a puppy play date. I was wet, sandy and a little wind blown. The weather was average and I felt like something sweet, but without the sugar.

 I then came across this recipe - a match made in heaven.

There is just something about baking on a wet and windy day isn't there? It instantly warms you!

Muffin Ingredients


  • 2 cups almond meal
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder (use gluten free if you prefer)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup coconut cream
  • eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 175ºC / 350ºF. Combine almond meal, baking powder, salt and shredded coconut in a bowl. In a second bowl, combine coconut oil, coconut cream, eggs (add one at a time mixing after each one), then combine the wet and dry ingredients. Add the macadamia nuts and mix well. Spoon into muffin cups and bake for 12 – 15 minutes. 
You may want to add a little frosting to make it a little fancier. I love a cashew cream frosting, the honey makes it quite sweet and you wouldn't even know it is considered 'healthy' if you are making these sweet treats for a hardcore sugar fan!
I used this recipe for the Cashew Cream Frosting.

cashew cream frosting

  • 1 1/2 cups cashews
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons of honey
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Then add all ingredients to a food processor until it becomes thick and creamy. You want to ensure there are no lumps from the cashew nuts. Then refrigerate for 1 hour - the frosting will become thick and whippy. It will then be ready to spread over your muffins. I then topped with a little toasted coconut pieces (I told you I love coconut!). Enjoy!

If you are a coconut and macadamia fan too, I hope you find the time to whip up a batch of these delicious muffins over the weekend. 
WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU BAKED?
Have you started planning your Christmas menu yet? Maybe these treats might make a feature?
If you missed this weeks Christmas post, head over here to see some gorgeous Christmas wreath inspiration. I know you will love it!
Have a great weekend x
  
Follow Glamour Coastal Living:
 INSTAGRAM // FACEBOOK // PINTEREST // SHOP

4 comments :

  1. Thank you !!!! These not only look yummy but fit into the guidelines of what we can eat....winning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear Nicole! Do you have a gluten allergy in the family?

      Delete
  2. These look so pretty! And I really want to try the cashew frosting. I am always on the look-out for healthy frosting recipes but they never seem to look as pretty as I want them too. I'll definitely have to try this one out. I haven't baked in a few weeks (terrible baker) but I have made a few yummy raw/no-bake treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is probably the easiest and yummiest nut frosting I have made, there was heaps leftover too so now I am wanting to make more baked goodies so I can use the rest of it up!! I usually make raw/no bake as its so much quicker when you are time poor. Much tidier in the kitchen too! I did make a mess, making these :) x A

      Delete

It makes my day receiving your lovely comments - feel free to leave one below x Ash

 

CONTACT/WORK WITH ME

ASHLEA KERR

Blogger, Creative + Business Owner

Gold Coast, Australia

Interested in working with me? Sounds fantastic, I love working with brands and creating fabulous content for my readers.

glamourcoastalliving@gmail.com

On Glamour Coastal Living

Related Posts with Thumbnails