Nathan and I had always said that when we were pregnant, we would not find out the babies gender. A healthy baby was all that we wanted and to find out the gender at delivery would be a marvellous surprise.
Then we found out that there was not one but two heartbeats at our first ultrasound. We decided that having twins was a whole other ball game and it was probably best to be prepared!
We had spoken about concentrating on getting the twins over the milestones of 12 weeks/19 weeks etc and then make sure they were along with all their organs and limbs developing healthy. Finding out the gender could happen later on. I thought we had agreed that was the plan. I thought it was the plan!
Then here we are with our Obstetrician at 10.5 weeks. When doing the ultrasound, he asked if we wanted to know the gender. Before I could give an answer, Nathan's face lit up, he had the biggest smile on his face. Like a kid at Christmas! How could I say no?
"Yes, yes, yes!" he said. And that is how the gender was known.
I must say though, mothers instinct, I had sensed the gender when I found out I was pregnant. My gut instinct proved me right.
So we held onto this secret for four weeks and oh boy was it hard! Our parents and siblings tried so hard to get it out of us, but we told them they must wait a few more weeks. We had set a date for a morning tea where we would reveal the gender to our family.
A triple layer naked cake was baked, M&M's of the gender 'colour' were placed inside and with butterflies and excitement the cake was cut. Our family at this point had been quite evenly divided, with 60% saying girls, the other 40% saying boys.
And so the cake was baked....and revealed....
We are so over the moon!
Nathan is already talking about their first fishing rods and taking them fishing to the creek at our new house. It will be perfect, so much grass to play on, trees to climb and the new house even comes with a big cubby house. They certainly will be outdoorsy boys which I love. I grew up a tomboy, playing outside until dark and coming home covered in dirt. The best way to grow up. Especially when you have an identical twin brother by your side!
Fourteen weeks pregnant here, at the gender morning tea - ready to reveal!
Cutting the cake and throwing a morning tea was such a fun way to reveal to our family and I thought, incase you were interested I would share how I made and assembled the cake. Any excuse for cake huh?! :P
Please note, I did have some hands on help - Nathan was fabulous on the knife carving me lovely flat layers of cake to stack!
I made a three layer simple butter cake, using this recipe here.
I iced it with buttercream icing, I love a simple old fashioned cake! It also allowed me to get that 'naked cake' look which I was aiming for.
HOW TO MAKE A GENDER REVEAL CAKE
To make my three tiered 'naked' cake
Once the three cakes were cooked, I froze each of the three layers (freeze for a minimum of two hours). I had read that this helps, having the cake frozen, to cut it when the cake assembly needs to take place. You see, to get a layered three tier cake, you don't simply stack the three cakes on top of each other (if you tried, you would end up with a leaning tower of Pisa!).
You need to level the cake top out, hence cutting it to get a nice smooth even top finish.
We used a serrated bread knife which worked well, below is Nathan demonstrating his culinary skills and cake levelling.
Then, we assembled the bottom layer, placing icing on top.
With the second layer, using a cookie cutter we cut a hole large enough to fill with M&M's in the middle of the cake, centered. We then sandwiched the second layer, using the icing to stick it to the first. Then came the fun part - filling the hole in the cake with the blue reveal M&M's. Once they were in and filled the hole, we placed more icing on the layer, before sandwiching the top layer on.
Now, we had a three tiered cake, complete with the reveal M&M's inside.
We then iced the sides of the cake, quite roughly to achieve the 'naked' cake look. I had then bought some baby booties and a nappy pin to place on top, alongside the 'Oh babies' sign I had made out of gold glitter cardboard (save yourself $20 at the store and make it yourself, its not hard, just requires some tiny nail scissors!)
Here it was finished - Voilá!
It was alot of fun making the cake and sharing it with family and now you all know the gender too!
Two little boys will be joining us by Christmas 2016. What a special Christmas it will be.
TELL ME, DID YOU FIND OUT YOUR BABIES GENDER?
How did you reveal it to your family and friends?
Ever been to a gender reveal party before?
Linking up team #IBOT
PS: have you seen my online store is closing, there isn't much stock left, so get in quick. All 30% off! SHOP HERE!
Follow Glamour Coastal Living: